The Division of Teacher Education (DTE) is celebrating 59 years of existence. This means that for 59 years the DTE has been training teachers in St. Vincent and the Grenadines!
Where We Began
Did you that ...
- Up to 1964, there existed no college for the training of teachers in St. Vincent and the Grenadines? Teachers had to travel to Trinidad and Barbados for training.
- Teacher education to Vincentians in their homeland began when the St. Vincent Teachers College opened its doors to thirty students in October 1964.
- Teachers attended the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Teachers’ College located at Arnos Vale
- The motto which guided students was : Teach, learn or depart
The first members of Staff- 1964-1965
- Mr E.W Holmes (C.I.D.A) - Principal- Ed Psychology; Social Studies
- Hetty Guy- Language Arts
- Belle Allen- Home Economics
- Agnes Cordice- Infant Education
- Edith Cooper- Art
- Leopold Lewis-Industrial Arts
- R.V. Whiteley- Mathematics, Science
- C. Hercules- Rural Science
- Pat Prescod- Music
- sola Greaves- Clerk/Librarian
- E. Snagg- Caretaker
First Students - Cohort of 1964-1965
Deans /Principals who guided the institution
- 1964 – 1966: Mr. E. W. Holmes
- 1966 – 1969: Mr. James. H. Ramsey
- 1969 - 1972: Mr. Clifford. S.
- 1972 - 1977: Mrs. Ednitt Providence-Mitchell (First local Principal)
- 1977 - 1998: Mr. Chester Rogers
- 1998 – 1999: Mr. Christopher Dennie
- 1999 – 2003: Dr. Veronica Marks
- 2003 – 2004: Mr. Philemon Williams (Ag)
- 2004 – 2005: Mrs. Deborah Bacchus
- 2005 – 2008: Dr. Alson Jack
- 2008 – 2015: Mrs. Eula Adams (Dean/DTE)
- 2015 – 2022: Dr. Harriette Da Silva (Dean/DTE)
The DTE is honoured to follow in the footsteps of those who came before us and created paths for our feet.